After a wave of anti-tourism protests, the Spanish city of Barcelona plans a crackdown on illegal holiday rentals.
The move comes after signs popped up in the city telling tourists that local rents are now unaffordable because of demand for holiday accommodation.
People have to be licensed before they can let out their properties for short stays, but there are still an estimated 5,000 to 6,000 illegal holiday flats.
Anti-tourist feelings are running high and some have had eggs thrown at them.
Such campaigns are now being seen elsewhere in Spain, the world`s third-biggest holiday destination, including the Basque city of San Sebastian, where an anti-tourism march was being held on Thursday.
The tourism industry is concerned at the potential global effect.
"Tourism is of immense economic benefit to European destinations and has become even more important in recent years," says a spokesperson for Abta, the UK travel agents` association.
"Most people appreciate these benefits and accept that at certain times of year, they will have to share their cities with significant numbers of tourists from around the world.
" `Manage numbers` Abta, perhaps unsurprisingly, blames the problem on the rise of online services such as Airbnb, which threaten its members` traditional business model while promoting a huge expansion in illegal tourist accommodation in cities such as Barcelona.
"The rapid growth of the peer-to-peer economy in recent years has led to significant increases in visitors to some cities, but due to the lack of licensing and regulation in this sector, it is impossible to fully understand tourism numbers," it says.
"We need mechanisms in place to manage numbers in crowded destinations, for the benefit of holidaymakers, destination residents and the travel industry.
Logically, these measures would need to take account of both hotel visitors and peer-to-peer accommodation users.
" Abta may have a point, though.
According to some estimates, as many as 40% of Barcelona`s tourist apartments are being rented out without the authorities` permission, making it much harder for local people to find affordable accommodation.
For now, tour guide operators and other local businesses say privately that the anti-tourist backlash has made little difference to the influx of visitors.
And the Spanish government must be hoping they are right.
More than 75 million tourists visited the country last year, and the number is expected to hit a record 83 million in 2017.
With Spain still recovering from its crippling economic crisis, tourism is more important to national well-being than ever before.
`Cookie-cutter` tourism Lucy Fuggle, head of content at TrekkSoft, which provides logistics and software to travel firms, sees the discontent as a sign that tourism needs to change.
"The backlash is concerning, but more so for the sentiment than the economic impact," she says.
"Tourism will continue - there`s no doubt about that - but we see some changes that need to happen, such as improved regulations and better distribution of visitors across cities.
"In our work with tour and activity suppliers and tourism boards, we`ve noticed that visitors are increasingly seeking unique experiences in less `typical` destinations," Ms Fuggle says.
"It`s a step away from the cookie-cutter package trip, and if more visitors turn to this, we could see less dense distribution in struggling cities such as Barcelona and Venice.
It comes at a greater cost to the consumer than budget city breaks, however.
" Future fears It`s probably too late for the protesters to have much impact on this year`s tourism numbers.
The surge in visitor numbers is being fuelled by powerful global economic forces.
As the appeal of other once-popular destinations such as Tunisia, Turkey and Egypt is waning because of security concerns, Spain looks even more attractive as a haven for sun-worshippers.
But the impact of the anti-tourist campaign could well be felt in 2018 and beyond.
The Catalan Tourist Board is a regular exhibitor at London`s World Travel Market tourism fair, held every November, along with 11 other Spanish travel organisations.
After some bumper years, the Spanish tourism industry will have to work hard to ensure that it too does not fall out of fashion.
It`s a big day for fans of eclipses, cruise ships, Bonnie Tyler and members of the Jonas Brothers.
News has reached us that Bonnie Tyler is going to perform her 1983 hit Total Eclipse of the Heart.
On a cruise ship.
During an eclipse.
With one of the Jonas brothers.
The eclipse will take place on 21 August and last for about two minutes and 40 seconds.
Tyler will perform (a presumably shorter version of) the song while the eclipse is taking place.
The ship, the Royal Caribbean`s Total Eclipse Cruise, will be positioned in the path of totality for the critical moment.
Let`s hope the sky will be clearer than it has been in the UK this month.
Surely Bonnie Tyler was a natural choice for this once-in-a-lifetime moment? "Bonnie Tyler was a natural choice for this once-in-a-lifetime moment," said the president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, Michael Bayley.
"It`s going to be so exciting, it doesn`t happen very often, does it?" observed Bonnie when she spoke to Time magazine.
The singer will perform alongside Cake By The Ocean hitmakers DNCE - a band led by Joe Jonas - on the cruise, which departs from Orlando for the Caribbean on Sunday.
You`ll naturally be worried about Bonnie getting seasick, we imagine, but there`s no need to panic.
She said: "I have a ship of my own.
I go with the flow, darling.
I`m not worried about things like that.
" Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents.
If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.
A military response to North Korea would be "horrific" but remains an option, the top military adviser to US President Donald Trump says.
Gen Joseph Dunford, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, made the comments while visiting China.
He was responding to remarks by a top Trump aide ruling out military action over North Korea`s nuclear programme.
Tensions have flared between the US and North Korea after Pyongyang made advances in its missile testing.
Mr Trump has warned the North that it faces "fire and fury", while Pyongyang has threatened to strike the American territory of Guam.
But the sharp rhetoric of last week has since softened, with North Korea leader Kim Jong-un putting the Guam plans on hold - a move praised by President Trump.
Chief White House strategist Steve Bannon said on Wednesday there could be no military solution to the stand-off.
"Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that 10 million people in Seoul don`t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don`t know what you`re talking about, there`s no military solution here, they got us," he told The American Prospect.
Gen Dunford agreed a military solution would be "horrific" but went on to say "what`s unimaginable to me is not a military option".
"What is unimaginable is allowing [North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un] to develop ballistic missiles with a nuclear warhead that can threaten the United States and continue to threaten the region.
" He said President Trump "has told us to develop credible, viable military options, and that`s exactly what we`re doing".
A senior Chinese military official who met Gen Dunford told him that military action should be ruled out and that "dialogue" was the only option, the Chinese defence ministry said.
China is the North`s only major ally.
The US has criticised China for not doing enough to rein it in, but Beijing says it has begun halting iron, iron ore and seafood imports from North Korea, in line with new UN sanctions.
The pedestal that was formerly the base for a statue of Roger B.
Taney, former Chief Justice of the U.
Supreme Court and majority author of the Dred Scott decision, stands empty after city workers removed the statue in Baltimore, on Aug.
(AP) -- Confederate monuments are being removed around the country under pressure from those who say they honor a regime that enslaved African-Americans.
The pace has increased, however, in the wake of last weekend`s deadly confrontation at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.
A look at monuments that have been removed, covered up or vandalized in recent days: NEW YORK Plaques honoring Gen.
Lee were removed from the property of a now-closed Episcopal church in Brooklyn on Wednesday.
Andrew Cuomo also called on the Army to rename two streets at nearby Fort Hamilton that honored Lee and Gen.
Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.
The plaques, including one more than a century old, were taken down at St.
John`s Episcopal Church because they were "offensive to the community," said Bishop Lawrence Provenzano of the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island.
BALTIMORE Four Confederacy-related monuments were hauled away on trucks under cover of darkness late Tuesday night and early Wednesday.
Mayor Catherine Pugh said she was concerned that such statues might spark violence.
One monument honored Maryland resident Roger B.
Taney, the U.
Supreme Court justice who wrote the Dred Scott decision denying citizenship to African-Americans.
DURHAM, NORTH CAROLINA A bronze statue of a Confederate soldier was pulled from its pedestal by protesters Monday night.
The 1924 monument stood in front of a government office building until demonstrators used a rope to pull it down.
Four people have been arrested, and authorities plan more arrests.
Roy Cooper has called for the removal of all Confederate monuments on public property around the state.
WILMINGTON, NORTH CAROLINA In another North Carolina town, two Confederate statues were vandalized with spray paint.
Someone also tied a rope around one of the statues in what may have been an attempt to topple it, police said Wednesday.
No arrests were immediately made.
KNOXVILLE, TENNESSEE A 1914 monument honoring fallen Confederate soldiers was splattered with paint.
Opponents are signing a petition to have it removed from a neighborhood near the University of Tennessee campus.
BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA A 52-foot-tall obelisk honoring Confederate soldiers and sailors was covered by wooden panels at the mayor`s order.
The 1905 monument is in a downtown park.
The cover-up Tuesday prompted a lawsuit by Alabama`s attorney general, who argues that it violates a new law prohibiting the removal of historical structures, including rebel memorials.
LOS ANGELES Hollywood Forever Cemetery, where many movie legends are interred, removed a 6-foot Confederate monument that was erected in 1925.
The stone and attached plaque were trucked away to storage Wednesday after the cemetery received hundreds of calls and emails requesting its removal.
More than 30 Confederate veterans and their families are buried in the cemetery.
Their grave markers will remain.
SAN DIEGO The city removed a plaque naming Confederate President Jefferson Davis from a downtown plaza Wednesday.
The plaque honored San Diego as the Western terminus of the Jefferson Davis Highway between Virginia and California.
It was presented to the city in 1926 by a state chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
TAMPA, FLORIDA A 106-year-old statue of Confederate soldiers will remain on public property unless opponents raise enough money to move it to a private cemetery, officials decided.
The Hillsborough County Commission voted last month to remove the monument but voted Wednesday to do so only if private funds can be raised in 30 days.
A seven-year-old Indian schoolgirl has filed a petition in court and written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi in a bid to save her neighbourhood park.
Navya Singh wrote, " I think you`ll listen to me.
This park is our lifeline," in her open letter.
She is seeking his help to put a stop to local authorities building a community hall in her local park.
After hearing of the petition last week Delhi High Court judges ordered a halt to building work at the park.
Just a few minutes` walk from her home in the crowded Rohini area in west Delhi, Navya says the park is her "favourite place" where she`s been going since she was "a baby" and she still visits it "every morning and evening".
"I meet my friends there and play with them.
We get on the swing, we play hide and seek," she told the BBC.
"I like the park a lot because it`s got lots of trees.
" In her two-page letter to the prime minister, she writes: "Everyone says you will not read it because you receive 1,000 such letters.
But I think you`ll listen to me.
This park is our lifeline.
" She concludes with a plea to "Modi uncle" to help her "save her park" because "everyone says you`re very intelligent".
Last week, Navya also filed a petition in the Delhi High Court, through her lawyer father Dheeraj Kumar Singh, against the Delhi Development Authority`s (DDA) project as it would "deprive the residents" of a place "to play and to get some fresh air".
In June, the residents of the area were surprised when the DDA cordoned off nearly one-third of the park and began construction activities.
"That`s the first time we had an inkling that there was something going on in the park," Mr Singh told the BBC, adding that officials never consulted or informed the residents about their plans.
Delhi has more than 14,000 public parks and open spaces - some are managed by the civic authorities, some by the city government, and others by the DDA.
Although many of them are poorly maintained, in densely populated city areas, they are popular hangout zones where children play, adults get some exercise and the elderly socialise.
So it is not surprising that unhappy residents, including a large number of women, protested in front of the park to prevent the authorities from going ahead with the construction.
The DDA called the police and took over possession of the area.
From 26 June, Navya and other residents had no access to the park - it was barricaded, heavy machinery was brought in and huge iron pillars were installed.
"She was very restless.
She asked me, `Where will we play now? Who can help us`?" Mr Singh said.
"Since I`m a lawyer, the only place I could think of was the court.
" A large part of the park, the residents say, has already been encroached upon - a temple in the middle of it has expanded over the years, a mobile phone tower came up in 2015 and earlier this year an open-air gym was installed in one corner.
As a result, the space for children to play has been constantly shrinking.
Navya`s petition says the project is "a waste of public money" as a community hall already exists "just 50 metres" from the site of the proposed new one.
At the first hearing of Navya`s petition last week, acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal and Justice C Hari Shankar ordered the DDA to "immediately stop" building work at the park.
"DDA cannot convert a park into a construction (site).
You are playing with taxpayers` money.
Parks are parks.
Do not turn them into community centres," the judges said.
The court asked the DDA to respond to the petition by the next date of hearing which is set for 18 September.
A DDA official told the BBC that their legal department was drafting a response and that they would abide by the court order.
Navya doesn`t understand the legalities involved in her petition, but since the court order, she and her friends have been able to return to the park, although a "smaller and more crowded" one.
With help from the court, and the prime minister, she hopes she will be able to reclaim it all.
After retreating on a plan to present a special law on the role of President Emmanuel Macron’s wife, the president’s office will instead publish a “charter” laying out her tasks.
This is a first in France, where presidential partners have never had defined responsibilities.
“My status will be determined, not by a law, but by a charter of transparency which will explain that I’m not remunerated, and what are my missions and my means,” Brigitte Macron said in an interview in Lagardere SCA’s “Elle” magazine to be published Friday.
“What is important, is that everything be clear.
” While wives and partners of French presidents have had their own office and staff, there’s never been an official status.
After the idea of a law laying out Brigitte’s status was floated, an on-line referendum against it gathered 300,000 signatures.
In the interview, extracts of which were published on Elle’s website, Brigitte Macron said she’s uncomfortable with the American expression “first lady,” or “premiere dame,” which the French press has adopted.
“Every time I hear it I feel like looking over my shoulder and asking whom they are talking about,” she said.
Macron’s successor, Francois Hollande, broke up with one partner and took up with another while in office.
The first one accompanied Hollande on official visits while the second one was rarely seen in public with him.
His predecessor Nicolas Sarkozy divorced and remarried while president.
Brigitte, 64, and Emmanuel Macron, 39, are on holiday in Marseilles this week.
Insolvent German airline Air Berlin aims to strike deals to sell assets to two or more buyers by the end of September, before a government loan keeping its planes in the air runs out, its chief executive said.
The group is in talks with a total of three aviation firms, including Lufthansa, German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) quoted Thomas Winkelmann as saying in its Thursday edition.
All three are "reputable in terms of their finances, sufficiently large to offer Air Berlin a secure future and are interested in keeping Germany as a base of operations", he said, without naming any of the interested parties.
Air Berlin, Germany`s second-largest airline, filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday after key shareholder Etihad Airways withdrew funding following years of losses, leaving valuable runway slots up for grabs.
The insolvency comes with thousands of Germans enjoying summer holidays, and just ahead of a September general election.
The German government granted a bridging loan of 150 million euros to allow Air Berlin to keep its planes in the air for three months and secure the jobs of its 7,200 workers in Germany while negotiations go on.
The move offers Lufthansa and rivals a chance to acquire slots at airports such as Berlin Tegel and Duesseldorf, with Germany`s largest airline keen to defend its domestic position against expansion by low-cost rival Ryanair.
According to Winkelmann, the negotiations also include assets of Air Berlin unit Niki, which Etihad had agreed to buy for 300 million euros ($354 million) earlier this year.